Nigeria has pulled out of the ongoing World Economic Forum in Cape Town, South Africa, over fresh xenophobic attacks.
The Federal Government has concluded arrangements to recall Nigeria High Commissioner to South Africa, Amb. Kabiru Bala for consultation and also demanded for full compensation for the loss of life and property of Nigerians affected.
A source close to the presidency confirmed the new development to newsmen in Abuja, on Wednesday.
He said, “Nigeria has also pulled out of the World Economic Forum on Africa in Capetown, South Africa, scheduled for Sept. 4 to Sept 6 over the xenophobic attacks’’.
The Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo was billed to represent Nigeria at the forum, while the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda and Malawi had already pulled out of the event.
Presidents Paul Kagame (Rwanda), Felix Tshisekedi (DRC) and Peter Mutharika (Malawi) have all withdrawn from the event.
According to the source, this is the outcome of President Muhammadu Buhari, Osinbajo and Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, brainstorming session on the raging xenophobic attacks of Nigeria in South Africa.
Onyeama had on Tuesday during at a joint news briefing with the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Bobby Moroe, insisted: “In the first place, we must address the issue of compensation.
“There has to be accountability and there has to be responsibility for compensating all those Nigerians that have suffered loss and we are going to absolutely push forward.”
Buhari had on Sept. 3 dispatched a Special Envoy to convey to President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa his deep concerns over the unabated attacks on Nigerian citizens and property in South Africa since Aug. 29.
South Africans commenced fresh attacks, looting and burning of businesses and properties belonging to Nigerians and other nationals and in the process killed three people.
The President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Mr Adetola Olubajo, said on Monday that the attacks began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.
“The mob also looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.
“But the Police later dispersed the mob and made some arrest.
“Late in the evening of Sunday, Sept. 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern; Johannesburg looted and burned shops and businesses with Nigerians being the most victims.
According to witnesses living on Jules Street, the Zulu hostel dwellers were very organised and well-coordinated in looting and burning of any shops/businesses suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.
Over 50 shops/businesses were destroyed, looted and burnt over the night in Malvern area of Johannesburg.